Monday, November 8, 2010

Hospital


The hospital here is a little different than it is back in the States. Here they have public healthcare instead of having to have private insurance. For my procedure in the States it would have been a day proceudre where I would checked into the morning into a clinc had the procedure and gone home again the same night. It was nice to be able to spend a couple days in the hospital afterward. If I needed anything there was either a doctor or a nurse only the push of a button away. And the nurses in the hopsital were very frienldy and kind to me even though I didnt speak any German.
They did speak some english but luckily the person ithe bed next to me was younger and he spoke english - so it was all goodThe Hospital here is a little different from back home, in the sense that in the rooms they are no sheet or curtains that seperate the 3 beds from each other (I was in a room with 2 other people). On the wall of the hospital was a crucifix and a picture of Mary and Jesus. I dont remember what hospitals are like back home, but it was nice to see that on the walls. I think the Hospital was actually a Catholic hospital.
During the day I read a lot and when Katy came to visit (which was a lot - it was greta to have her there!!) we played games. We had a TV in the room but you had to pay 1 euro a day to watch it and I didnt think it was worth it as I couldnt understand it anyway. (if the others would have wanted to watch it they would have gotten a set of headphones - thats what the euro was for. You could have the tv on but the sound was disabled and you could only hear it if you paid the euro and got the headphones). One of the guys tried the TV but no sound.
For meals the food wasnt too bad. It was a little different than what I am used to though as they had their big meal for lunch - and it was pretty good. Breakfast was some slices of bread and either a few slices of turkey or some jam. Then dinner was either a cheese tray or a meat tray with some soup. Katy was nice enough to bring me in some Chinese one night as I was a little hungry at night. .


Even though it was a little different than it would have been in the states I am happy so far with the way the operation/hosptial stay has gone. Now I just have to work hard to rehab my knee and make it as strong or stronger than before the injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment