Thursday, November 11, 2010

2nd visit

On Monday I was realesed from the hospital and it was nice to be home in the evening to eat dinner with Katy and watch a movie. The night was a different story. I laid down and tried to go to sleep. However I Could not lay on my back. If I tried this I was not able to take more than 1/2 a breath and everytime I tried to breath it felt like my back muscles would lock up and I wasnt able to take a breath. I was quite scary. We almost decided to go to the hospital but thought we'd give it 20 more minutes. I tried the couch and luckily I was able to find position (legs stretched out on the couch, with me leaning my left shoulder and the left side of my head on the back of the couch) and was able to get a little sleep.
The next day I called the doc who did my surgery and told him what had happened. He said I should go and get it looked at right away (he didnt say at the time but was very worried for a blood clot in the lung). He set everything up for me and when I got to the hospital had some tests done. Blood was drawn (from the vein and from deep in my wrist - from the wrist is no fun) and a CT scan. Then they put me in a room for the night just in case. (and told me I couldnt drink or eat anything - I think it was in case it was a blood clot and I had to have surgery soon). Well the tests came back looking pretty good, but wouldnt you know my back started up just like it did the night before. This night the only thing I could do to relieve the pain was to lay my chest on legs (like I wsa bending over to touch my toes), this is the only way I found some relief. This night was worse and there were sometimes I was scared as I couldnt find a position to be able to catch a breath. I tried sitting up, which had worked the day before and it made it worse. The only way I ws able to relax was after some pain and inflammation medicine. Then finally I was able to get some sleep.
Yesterday doc told me that I have an inflammation on the outer membrane of my lung and once I relax and I breath my body feels this and knows something is wrong. Since the back muscles are sensitive they can tell something is wrong and "lock up" to protect it. Luckily he said that with only 1-2 weeks of anti-inflammatory drugs I would have no more problems.
It was nice that I was able to go back to the hospital to get this taken care of, and to find out that I didnt have a blood clot. But, I dont want make it a habit, or a 2nd home, of having to go to the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment