Monday, September 8, 2014

Country in one song

Over here in Japan you pretty much get 2 types of music: j-pop (Japanese pop music) or top 40 hits (actually everywhere we have been when you turn on the radio you usually get one or two top 40s stations and that is pretty much it for music, maybe if you're lucky there will be a station that plays some older hits too).
But country? Outside of the U.S. It's pretty much non-existent. Even in Australian where Keith Urban is from, people (at least those we ran into) knew Keith Urban only from the fact that he is married to Nicole Kidman. Crazy if you ask me.
Anyway, I was riding in the car with a Japanese player and he asked me what kind of music I liked. When I said country he said he didn't know what that was and asked me to play a song so he could hear what country is.
Wow........big question!
I didn't know what to choose so I played him my favorite song at the time - Pirate Flag by Kenny Chesney.
The song is a phenomenal song and I still really like it but looking back on it I don't think it was the best song to sum up country music.
For those of you that like country music, what song would you say sums it up in one song? If you had only one song to pick that would represent country music, what would it be? Could you even pick only one? Would you go old or new? Or is there something that would blend them both?
After thinking about it for a while I now think I would go with Hillbilly Deluxe, by Brooks and Dunn. Upbeat like newer country but still has a little twang, and from a group that was around for a long time.
Good choice? What would you choose?

The 2 songs I mentioned:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment