Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Japanese Pooper Scooper

Here in Japan things are very clean. Even though it seems as though you hardly ever see a garbage can there is almost no litter on the sidewalks/side of the street. Another thing you never see is doggy doo-doo. Like many places around the world the people here clean up after their 4 legged friends, only their technique seems to be a little different.
 
In the states I have seen people pull a plastic bag out of their pocket, put their hand inside of it and grab the droppings. Then flip the bag inside-out and tie it off so they never actually have to touch the mess with their bare hands and let the bag do all the work. Or, if you wanted to go the fancy route, you could go online and buy a Pooper scooper - a dustpan/shovel looking deal that picks it up for you, eliminating the need for any hand-to-hand combat.
Here in Japan the same thing happens, only the technique is a little different. Here you take the plastic bag out of your pocket but instead of waiting for the dog to finish, you pretend your hand is a baseball glove and catch whatever comes out before it ever comes in contact with the ground. The first time I saw this I couldn't believe my eyes, as I had never seen or heard of anything like it before, but I have since seen it again (only the second time the lady used nothing more than a small tissue - stuck her hand straight out and grabbed it like she was a 3-time gold glove winner. I was at a stop light so I got a good look at what was going on and the technique she was using).
 
I wasn't able to get a picture of this so I tried to find one on the internet - instead of finding what I was looking for I found this: another Japanese way to clean up after your dog.
(Due to the graphic nature of this picture - children please ask your parents before looking any further)

Instead of having to do any of the dirty work - you strap this contraption on your dog like a collar and when your dog goes the expandable tube gets bigger as it is filled and is ready to be tossed when your dog is done.
Not a bad idea - but I got to thinking, how much must you hate to pick up dog poop to design a full-body-accordian-syle-expandable-poop-catching-dog-harness? Think your dog will ever wear one of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment