Friday, April 19, 2013

Homeless?

Do I look homeless to you?
 
Yesterday I had to meet someone at a nearby train station. I ended up arriving a little early and went outside to wait. Since I had been standing on the train for the previous 35 mins or so I wanted a little rest and decided to sit on the ground, off to the side, as there was no chairs or benches. My trip was early in the morning - had to get up at 6:30 (early for me) - and so I was able to eat most of my breakfast before I left but not all of it. So, I peeled and ate the last couple hard boiled eggs I brought along. As I was sitting there many people passed me, some staring a little longer than the quick glance you normally give someone, but then a nice lady came up to me. With a smile on her face she nicely bent down towards me and handed me an orange. She told me "good luck" and then headed for the escalator and up into the train station. As soon as she handed me the orange, my mind started racing trying to think of how I could explain that I have a lot of food and am not here trying to beg....but I drew a big blank....when I woke up in the morning and thought about the day I didn't really picture myself being in a situation where I would have to try and explain that I am not homeless in another language that I can only utter a few words.
 
So I smiled a little bit and laughed at myself some ( I swear I took a shower and looked presentable and if you read Japanese Pooper Scooper you know there is no dog poop on the street so I don't think I smelled....and even though I don't think I look like I am in dire need of food or malnourished maybe the lady thought I needed a nutritious snack)
Either way - the orange was delicious and I enjoyed every bite.......and I guess I have a story to tell from it.
So lady, wherever you are thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment