Sunday, February 24, 2013

Changing Temps

Here in Japan it is starting to get warmer and at times we can catch a glimpse of spring. I am very much looking forward to the warmth coming as, like a lot of people, I just seem to feel better when it is warmer out. Another reason is I am not a big fan of the really cold gyms that we have gotten accustomed to practicing in. Here in Japan you would struggle to find a gym, at least around the Tokyo area, that has the heat on all the time. I think I mentioned it before but we practice in a public facility (we actually have a few different places that we have practices at - all public facilities). During practice at the 2 main gyms we use there are usually things going on, on the 2 other courts in the facility as well. (There is a big net net that separates one court from the next to stop any basketballs, soccer balls, ping pong balls, tennis ball,s shuttle cocks, volleyballs, or whatever else might go flying between courts from the various things that are going on in each court). But despite the fact that the courts seem to be constantly busy and full of people the heat never gets turned on, or when in the fall when it was super hot, the air conditioning on.
When we first got here the gyms were like an oven. You walk in from outside and when you took that first step in the gym it was like hot air blasted you in the face. Honestly, I dont think I have ever sweated more. Every practice I had to switch pairs of shoes halfway through because there was so much sweat in my shoe, my feet would slide around. I was literally able to turn my shoes upside down after practice and dump the water out. I almost ended up with a self-diagnosed case of warm-water trench foot (which is not even possible - but I almost got it).
This is what I wanted to do sometimes.

Now, since it is winter and the temps have changed we are fighting the other side of the spectrum. Like I mentioned before no gym that we practice in has heat and the gyms stay quite cool. The other day when it was in the 50s and the sun was out it was warmer outside than it was in the gym. For practice my wardrobe consists of:
On my legs: full length spandex tights, spandex padded shorts, padded knee sleeves that I can extend over my calves if I want, practice shorts, tearaway pants, and sweatpants.
On my upper body: under armour undershirt, long sleeve shirt, practice jersey, team jacket, sweatshirt.
After warm-ups I usually discard the sweatshirt and sweatpants, but I almost always practice in my tear away pants and jacket (other teammates do the same thing - some even wear a hat).
For our games though we do get it a little better with the heat turned on and its not as cold, although we did play one weekends set of games with no heat as the gym we went to didn't even have the ability for heat.
 This was the sign on the ball the other day when I got to practice :)
I do have to say though, that at least there is not a ton of snow or temps around 0 Fahrenheit -although I think the heat would probably have to be on then. It is very cold but we make it work. And I think it is just normal because everyone else, the people who are doing their thing on the other courts while we are practicing, are all bundled up pretty well too; and we all make due with what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment