Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Top to Bottom, Right to Left

Here in Japan, books are a little different than in Western countries. Instead of grabbing the book and opening it by grabbing the right side to flip the page, you grab the left side to flip the page. It would be like turning a book over and opening it to look at the last page. Only here, that is how you read. And, with western books your eyes read the horizontal text, left to right, and then work your way down the page, top to bottom, as you read. Here you start in the upper right hand corner, read the symbols going down (vertical text) and work your way from the right side of the page to the left.
The place that we lift at has some magazines sitting on their counter. I have gone to look at them a couple times, only when I lift the magazine up and try to the turn the page like I normally would, nothing happens, as I am trying to turn the spine of the book. Its sort of a weird feeling to flip the page from the left side and know you are going the correct direction and doing it how it is supposed to be done. I think it would take some time to get used to if you were to switch. Glad I really don't have to worry about it, unless I am picture reading, as I can read zero Japanese characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment