Saturday, April 26, 2014

Chop sticks are for real

If you think of Japanese food or Asian food what do you think of. If one of the things you thought of was chopsticks you would be thinking of the way people eat there food here. Chopsticks aren't just some novelty, something from a movie, or something fun to try they are pretty much the only way to eat your food here in Japan.
 
Some restaurants that we have gone to will have forks or spoons if you ask, but every place you eat at will bring you out chopsticks.
I can remember when I was littler we had some in our silverware drawer and I would try to eat with them every once in a while when mom or dad would cook an Asian meal. I can remember my dad showing me how to hold my fingers and how they were supposed to move. Back then I wasn't so good, but I have to say that I can do a decent job of finding a way to get the food from my plate, hoisted into the air and finally to my mouth (and no I dont put my mouth down to my plate and use the chopsticks to shovel the food in).
 Chopsticks are a way of life here and it is kind of fun to use them. And, there are some foods like rice, that I prefer to use chopsticks for (the rice here seems to be a little stickier than the uncle ben's minute version you get at home and much better tasting - the rice here is very good - I know, how can one rice taste different than another? Its all rice, right? Trust me it can).

 


Anyway, back to the chopsticks. I thought I would share with you a few things about chopsticks if you ever make a trip to Japan and find yourself submersed in the culture and enjoying a meal, part of which is rice (rice is eaten with everything). In the states if you need a break while you are eating to take drink or for whatever reason you set your silverware down you probably just leave your spoon or fork on your plate or in whatever food you are eating. Here in Japan though it is a little different. One thing you never do is leave your chopsticks in your rice.
In Japan, chopsticks stuck in rice is part of the funeral rite when someone passes away.
Chopsticks should also never be set down with the ends being crossed on the table as this signifies death; and food should not be transferred from one person's chopsticks to another as the act of transferring directly with chopsticks is how bones are passed as part of Japanese funeral custom.

So if you make it to Japan follow these simple rules and you should be one step ahead in fitting in, or at least not standing out (more than you already do).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment